Thinking about getting a backpack weed sprayer? If your looking at upgrading… then this post is just for you. We’re going to go over the pros and cons, check out the main key features of each to help you out in deciding which one is the best for you.
If you’re in a hurry and just want our top choice as the best backpack sprayer for you and all of your gardening needs… we recommend the Sprayers Plus 105Ex Backpack Sprayer.
I’ve been using one of these on the job for quite a while now and I’m more than happy with the performance and reliability.
Best Professional Backpack Sprayer: Field King 190328 Backpack Sprayer
If you’re looking for a high-pressure backpack sprayer the Field King 190328 is the sprayer for you.
Peaking out at around 150 PSI you’ll be able to deliver a smaller droplet size, broader coverage of spray, and have a further reach.
Another feature I like is the built-in agitator. The internal paddles keep everything all mixed when in use as every time you pump the system you are also mixing your solution stopping it from settling.
The agitator can handle liquids, powders, and water-soluble solutions.
If there’s nothing I hate more with a sprayer apart from it not working is when the shut off doesn’t shut off straight away or dribbles afterward.
With Field King, they use premium brass components, lockable shutoff and the highest quality Viton seals.
Best Backpack Sprayer For Herbicides
Smaller the droplet size is important when using contact herbicides or other products that require smaller droplets, spot spraying or disease control on animals.
The Solo 425 4-Gallon Professional Piston Backpack Sprayer is a great option. It doesn't have the same high rated PSI as the Field King but for the average user that won't be a problem either.
The Solo 425 includes a 28" unbreakable wand, (hmmm the jury's out on that one, stay tuned) which connects to a 48-inch nylon-reinforced high-pressure hose for an extended reach.
The pack comes with 4 inter-changeable spray nozzles and coupled with a commercial shutoff valve that securely locks in either the on or off position to help with hand fatigue for those long sprays applications.
I like how the pump handle is interchangeable from left to right and its solid as frame, ergonomically designed for comfort and the user in mind.
Best Portable: YT25E Battery Sprayer
This sprayer the YT25E Battery Sprayer is perfect if you've got small property or planning on spraying certain areas of your yard.
Even tho it doesn't have a backpack frame, you can wear it on your back by slinging over your shoulder much like slinging a bow and arrow bow.
If you going to do beds or insect treatment then this will be an ideal sprayer to use but if you're going to do a very large yard, this one might be a little bit too small.
The sprayer holds around 2 gallons and can be slung over the shoulder and worn like a bow, or light enough to carry around with the handle on the lid.
The sprayer runs on a 12v battery and fully charged you'll get a good amount of tanks out before she's flat. Using the stream setting you'll get around 18 tank fulls and when misting you'll get around 15, which isn't too shabby for a little 12v 2.2Ah battery.
Best Backpack For Lawn Care
Depending on the size of the area and lawn your caring for will decide on type of sprayer really.
I mean if you've got an area that takes longer to set up and get mowing with a battery-powered mower than it takes to mow the area, ya not going to spend a ton on the latest and fanciest sprayer on the market, right.
So for battery-powered we recommend Sprayers Plus YT25e, its small enough to carry around by the handle or use the carry strap and sling it over the shoulder and big enough for most homeowners lawns.
It can be a little on the expensive side if that's is the case then Scotts 190567 Lithium-Ion Battery Powered Pump might be a better option. It holds 2 gallons and gets up to 12 full tanks in a single charge.
As for going with a hand pump, this Chapin 20541 1 gallon pump is perfect for spot spraying, blanket spraying small areas, insecticides over hedges or spraying liquid fertilizer out.
The Chapin and Scotts aren't so-called a backpack sprayer but they come with a should strap to sling over the should.
Best Backpack Sprayer For Bleach
Diaphragm sprayers are a lot more durable and are designed to handle harsh or abrasive chemicals like bleach. So we recommend that you use a diaphragm type backpack sprayer.
If you've already got a battery or piston style sprayer just make sure you clean it out thoroughly with clean water once you've finished the job.
The Solo 475 backpack sprayer is another great option for a bleach sprayer. The high-performance diaphragm pump will deliver around 60 PSI, designed for wettable powders, liquid, and bleach.
To give you years of untroubled use Solo uses Tivilon, in all their diaphragms which is a top-quality material that outstands the harshness of chemicals like bleach.
I like how the handle is interchangeable to cater to both left and right-handers and the wide open mouth for quick fills and fewer spillages.
Comparison Table: 15 Best Backpack Sprayers For 2023
105Ex Effortless Backpack Sprayer - 20V Lithium Long Battery Life with High Grade Seals & O-Ring, Brass Wand & Nozzle
$219.99 in stock
- 20V Lithium-ion powered. Spray up to 23 tanks on a single charge
- Constant 40 PSI working pressure to reach farther and wider
- Lightweight and ultra portable, weighing only 9.6 lbs
- High quality Viton seals throughout for durability and pressure
- Battery & Motor Enclose Design
YT25E Battery Sprayer - 12V Lithium-ion with Viton Seals & O-Ring, Brass Wand & Nozzle & Shoulder Strap, 2 Gallon
$145.99 in stock
- 12V Lithium-ion powered. Spray up to 18 tanks on a single charge
- High grade and reliable Viton capable of handling various lawn care applications
- Powder coated brass wand and adjustable nozzle included
- Constant 30 PSI working pressure to reach farther and wider
- Lightweight and ultra-portable, weighing only 6.5 lbs
Field King Professional 190328 No Leak Pump Backpack Sprayer for Killing Weeds in Lawns and Gardens
$84.97 in stock
- Internal No Leak Pump design is safer to use chemicals will not drip down your back. Internal piston pump delivers up to 150 PSI
- Durable, 21 inch poly wand with the highest quality Viton seals can be used with Wet table powders and liquids for all applications does the work of both a piston and diaphragm backpack
- Premium, lockable shut off with brass components and an in-line filter.
- Easy access pump allows changing of seals in just minutes with no tools
- 4 nozzles included: brass adjustable, 2 flat fans, and foaming nozzle. Also accepts Tee Jet nozzles.
Field King Max 190348 Backpack Sprayer for Professionals Applying Herbicides
$106.99 in stock
- Internal No Leak Pump design is safer to use - chemicals will not drip down your back.
- Durable, 21 inch stainless steel wand with the highest quality Viton seals for chemical resistance.
- Premium, lockable shut off with brass components and an in-line filter.
- Easy access pump, change seals in just minutes with no tools.
- 4 nozzles included: brass adjustable, 2 flat fans, and foaming nozzle. Also accepts TeeJet nozzles.
Chapin 61800 4Gal Backpack Sprayer, 4-Gallon, Translucent White
- Compatible with common fertilizers, weed killers and pesticides
- 4-Gallon translucent tank with 4-inch wide mouth opening for easy filling and cleaning
- 3-Stage Filtration system with in-tank removable/cleanable filter
- Cushion grip poly shut-off with three nozzles for a variety of applications
- Padded shoulder straps to accommodate a full backpack for hours
Chapin 61500 Backpack Sprayer for Fertilizer, 4 gal
- 4-Gallon 4-inch wide mouth opening, translucent tank for easy filling and cleaning
- Compatible with common fertilizers, weed killers and pesticides
- 2-Stage filtration system, one filter at the top and another filter at shut-off
- Poly shut-off with 2 nozzles: adjustable poly cone and fan tip
- Padded shoulder straps to accommodate a full backpack for hours. Seal Material - Nitrile
Roundup 190314 Backpack Sprayer for Fertilizers, Herbicides, Weed Killers & Insecticides, 4 Gallon
$74.98 in stock
- 4-Gallon sprayer meets all your spraying needs (controlling weeds and pests, growing flowers and vegetables and cleaning decks and siding)
- Heavy-duty poly wand with shut-off featuring a comfort grip, lock for continuous spraying and an in-line filter
- Viton seals and gaskets throughout the pump and shut-off for long lasting chemical resistance
- Adjustable padded straps with waist belt and built-in lumbar support
- Includes 3 nozzles for versatility: poly adjustable, high volume fan, and low volume fan
Petra 3-Gallon Battery Powered Backpack Sprayer – Extended Spray Time Long-Life Battery - New HD Wand Included, Wide Mouth Lid, Multipurpose Adjustable Brass Nozzle & Battery Included, 65+ PSI
$159.99 in stock
- Never Pump Again: Sprays For 2-2.5 hours on a single battery charge or over 50 gallons of solution so that you can complete your whole job on a single charge without worrying about pumping. 40-65PSI pump with adjustable pressure knob. The 3.3 AH lead-acid battery provides 3X the battery life of most other lithium battery sprayers. If needed, the battery can be changed quickly. Includes a fully-automatic AC charger that completely charges the battery in 6 hours. (Battery and charger included!)
- PetraTools HD3000 #1 Customer Support: PetraTools wants to make sure that you are 100% satisfied with your PetraTools HD3000 Sprayer and will help any way they can. Other sprayers provide extremely limited support on Amazon but not PetraTools. Quality control testing and final assembly on each sprayer completed at PetraTools testing centers right here in the USA!
- PetraTools Multipurpose Wand and Nozzle Included: Meet all your spraying needs with the PetraTools wand that can handle any solution as needed. Includes plastic squeeze handle with locking mechanism and multiple nozzle attachments for all your spraying needs
- Translucent Tank with Gallon Markings: The translucent tank with gallon markers allows you to easily see how much solution you’re mixing in and how much is left in the tank. Variable PSI pressure adjuster allows you to control your PSI output for the perfect spray. The wide mouth lid design makes pouring and mixing solution convenient.
- High-Quality Products at PetraTools: PetraTools aims to always give you the best products, so we designed the HD3000 sprayer with the highest quality standards. Produced under a family-owned business that’s based in the USA. With excellent customer support for greater assistance.
Petra 4 Gallon Battery Powered Backpack Sprayer – Extended Spray Time Long-Life Battery - New HD Wand Included, Wide Mouth Lid, Multiple Nozzles & Battery Included
$229.99 in stock
1 used from $178.93
- Never pump again: Sprays For 6-8 hours on a single battery charge or over 200 gallons of solution so that you can spray all day on a single charge without worrying about pumping. 70 PSI pump with adjustable pressure knob. The 8AH lead-acid battery provides 4X the battery life of most other 2.0 lithium battery sprayers. If needed, the battery can be changed quickly. Includes a fully-automatic AC charger that completely charges the battery in 8 hours. (BATTERY AND CHARGER INCLUDED!)
- PetraTools HD4000 #1 Customer Support: PetraTools wants to make sure that you are 100% satisfied with your PetraTools HD4000 Sprayer and will help any way they can. Other sprayers provide EXTREMELY limited support on Amazon but not PetraTools. Quality control testing and final assembly on each sprayer completed at PetraTools testing centers in the USA!
- New PetraTools Heavy Duty wand included: Meet all your spraying needs with the all new PetraTools Heavy Duty plastic wand. Includes plastic squeeze handle with locking mechanism.
- Wide mouth lid - Large wide mouth lid allows for easy filling with screen filter to keep dirt & debris out of the tank. Includes multiple different nozzle attachments! The secondary lid allows for easy storage of nozzles.
- Translucent tank with gallon markings: The translucent tank with gallon markers allows you to easily see how much solution you’re mixing in and how much is left in the tank. Variable PSI pressure adjuster allows you to control your perfect spray.
Solo 425 4-Gallon Professional Piston Backpack Sprayer, Wide Pressure Range up to 90 psi
6 used from $62.57
- Easily spray liquid disinfectants, fertilizers, herbicides, pesticides with Solo's high-performance piston pump for tree, shrub and plant protection
- Solo’s 425 backpack sprayer includes a 20-inch unbreakable wand that securely connects to a 48-inch nylon-reinforced high-pressure hose for an extended reach
- Four easily changeable commercial-grade spraying nozzles-Plastic Adjustable, Fan Spray, Hollow Cone, Jet Stream nozzle and is TeeJet compatible
- Designed with a commercial shut-off valve that securely locks in either the on or off position to minimize user fatigue, the pump handle is interchangeable for left or right-hand operation
- Solo's rugged metal frame with an extra-large tank opening makes it easy to fill and clean quickly
KIMO 3 Gal. 20V Li-Ion Battery Powered Backpack Sprayer w/ 2.0Ah Battery&Charger, 2 Extended Hoses, 3 Nozzles, No Manual Pumping Required Heavy Duty Sprayer for Weeding, Spraying, Cleaning, Gardening
$159.99 in stock
- 【No Manual Pumping Required】 KIMO backpack sprayer are the perfect union of convenience and versatility, nothing beats KIMO battery-powered sprayer. Featuring a 70PSI pump, no more hand pump. KIMO 2.0Ah battery sprayer and 3-gallon sprayer support spraying for 6 hours by one charge. Which can cover 3000sq. ft of watering. Basically, satisfy the need for your whole-day watering work for one charge. Set aside your traditional manual pump sprayer, you need a KIMO electric sprayer.
- 【Portability and Ergonomics】The battery-operated sprayer is equipped with an ergonomic backpack and detachable strap pads. Besides, this portable sprayer has a lockable switch, when the users press the handgrip, the plant sprayer will keep spraying, which is a savior for eliminating hand fatigue. No worry about assembling, filling, and changing spray wands of the backpack sprayer battery powered, the KIMO weed sprayer battery operated is easy to use, a necessity for professionals and amateurs.
- 【A Beast for All Spraying Needs】A 20 Inches plastic wand and an extra metal wand up to 43 inches, the stream of the lawn sprayer easily reaches the top of a two-story house. Expect the height of the lawn & garden sprayers it can reach, it also can protect you from harmful liquid. You will be surprised by the versatility of the power sprayer. Multiple nozzles make it ideal for cleaning, fertilizing, and applying micro-nutrient liquids to control nurseries, flowers, gardens, and orchards.
- 【3 Gallon Translucent Tank with Gallon Markings】This KIMO weed sprayer features a 3 Gallon large capacity water tank and a 4-inch wide mouth opening for easier pouring and mixing solutions. The weed killer sprayer allows you to spray for 6 hours! Besides, the translucent tank of the backpack weed sprayer with gallon markers allows you to easily see how many solutions you’re mixing in and how much is left in the tank of the weed sprayer. So that you can better arrange your spraying work.
- 【Spray in Safety】The yard sprayer is made of high-quality PE material and equipped with a Leak-proof design, which is safer to use a KIMO sprayer of that will not drip down your back. What's more, Each battery backpack sprayer comes with a 1*20V 2.0Ah KIMO battery-powered sprayer, 1*60min Fast Charger, 1*23-Inch Plastic Wand, 1*43-Inch Extension Metal Wand, 1*3 Gallon Water Tank, 3*Sprayer Nozzles, Choose KIMO electric sprayer, you need not buy any extra accessories.
ITISLL 4 Gallon Backpack Sprayer, Leak-Free Pump Sprayer with Telescopic Brass Wand, Durable Polyethylene Wand and 4 Nozzles for Garden and Lawn 15liter (919NK15)
- 【2 Adjustable Wands】Included a retractable brass wand and a durable polyethylene rod which the brass wand can be adjusted between 25-40 inches to help spray more spaces or hard-to-reach places!
- 【Lock Switch】The switch lock functions provide a comfortable grip and the lockable trigger helps prevent hand fatigue for better comfort.
- 【Super Wide Opening Design】Designed with a wide mouth opening which is convenient and easy to pour the water into the bottle. The high density filter can effectively prevent big debris and dirt from entering the water tank, which protects internal components from damage and prolongs service life.
- 【4-Gallon Water Tank】The translucent water tank with a gallon mark makes it easy to see the mixed liquids and how much is left so you can add more in time. It is also convenient for cleaning.
- 【Service Guarantee】 If any quality problem occurs within one year, please contact ITISLL for free replacement or an unconditional refund.
VIVOSUN 4 Gallon Battery Powered Backpack Sprayer Electric Pump Sprayer with Four Nozzles for Garden Lawn, Orange
- Unique Appearance: This electric pump sprayer has an ergonomic design with smooth contours that mirror the shape of your back, making it comfortable to carry around
- Durable Design: The sprayer’s thick body is made of a new, highly durable orange plastic that will not fracture when dropped and is built to last; Translucent bottle includes a viewing window to check the water level
- High Efficiency: Can be used continuously for up to 8 hours when fully charged; Equipped with a 12V/10Ah battery that eliminates the need for manual pumping and has 3-4 times greater efficiency than regular pump-action sprayers
- Effective Filtration Mesh: Built-in filtration mesh isolates large unwanted particles and protects the sprayer’s internal components from damage
- Quality Assurance: The sprayer’s thickened bottom significantly improves its durability and stability; We promise to fix any problem and answer any question as quickly as we can
Solo 475-B Diaphragm Pump Backpack Sprayer, 4-Gallon, Bleach Resistant Pump Assembly
$80.50 in stock
1 used from $60.49
- Easily and effectively handles disinfectants, bleach solutions, fertilizers, herbicides, pesticides and formulations for tree, shrub and plant protection.
- High-performance diaphragm pump for use with wettable powders, liquid and bleach solutions. Passes small abrasive particles without damage to the pump assembly. Produces pressure of up to 60 psi.
- Diaphragm is made of top quality Tivilon material to provide outstanding resistance to harsh chemicals.
- Interchangeable pump handle for left or right-hand operation and 48” nylon-reinforced high-pressure hose for extended reach.
- Four-nozzle assortment for multiple spraying tasks: adjustable, fan spray, hollow cone, and jet stream nozzles. TeeJet compatible.
Solo 425-Deluxe 4-Gallon Professional Piston Backpack Sprayer with Deluxe Padded Straps
$128.57 in stock
- EASILY AND EFFECTIVELY handles liquid disinfectants, fertilizers, herbicides, pesticides and formulations for tree, shrub and plant protection.
- HIGH-PERFORMANCE piston pump for increased pressure capabilities of up to 90 psi with an optional plug # 4200215 (not included).
- ADJUSTABLE pressure regulator with four positions: 15, 30, 45, 60 psi.
- EXTRA LARGE carrying handle with wand retainer for easy portability and storage.
- DELUXE shoulder straps and waist belt for user comfort.
Battery Vs Hand Pump
Pretty much you've got 3 different classes of sprayers, gas, battery and manual and knowing which one is the best sprayer for your situation can save you time and a ton of money as well.
In this overview, we're only going to be taking a look at the backpack pump sprayers and battery powered backpack sprayers.
When dropping some coin down on a sprayer you don't want to overbuy nor you don't want to underbuy either. I'm also going to talk about why we recommend an electric backpack sprayer over the hand pump type sprayer.
Most think buying a battery operated backpack sprayer is a bit extravagant and a waste of money. Maybe you're thinking it's just for the super lazy, but regardless let's look now why you really should consider one of these sprayers.
First off when you use a battery-powered sprayer you're gonna get consistent pressure in the sprayer, which means the same amount of product from start to finish.
Another reason is you're going to have less fatigue which is great on your arm but again tributes back to having that continuous pressure.
You'll be able to go faster but the biggest reason why you want to grab a battery powered sprayer is for accuracy and consistency.
These sprayers will deliver the exact same amount of product from beginning to end and that's the main reason you want to get a battery-powered backpack sprayer.
Piston Vs Diaphragm Pump Sprayer
Known the difference between piston and diaphragm pump sprayers is gonna make it easier for you to choose which will be the better for you.
To keep it pretty simple as I can, a piston-type action will give you a higher maximum working pressure of average 90 PSI even up to 150 PSI.
A diaphragm backpack pump will max out at around 60 PSI.
Some chemicals you use like marker dye, wettable powders or bleach solutions can crystallize inside the piston type sprayers and cause an abrasive action causing premature wear on the sides of the cylinder.
So it's imperative when using piston-type sprayers to flush them out with good clean water.
Diaphragm action pumps don't have this problem. They are equipped to handle the abrasiveness of chemicals and we recommend using this style of pump if you are going to use these types of chemicals.
Because there is no contact with a cylinder wall, as with piston pumps, diaphragm pumps tend to be more durable.
So if you need high pressure and more using contact herbicides or other products that require smaller droplets a piston-type might be your best choice.
If using more systemic herbicides or other products that require larger droplets for less drift or just want a more durable, hardy wearing less looking after sprayer then the diaphragm would be my choice.
Another benefit of diaphragm pumps is that they can be used with wettable powders, abrasives or even bleach solutions. So that's the difference between piston pumps and diaphragm pumps.
Rounding It Up
With a ton of different applications, a sprayer can do from spraying herbicide, insecticides, round-up, bleach soap suds for pre-wetting the truck down before washing.
Our overall choice is the Sprayers Plus 105E for its universal applications, design and reliability.
Designed for professionals, DIYers this sprayer will give you years of worry-free trouble, providing you take care of it, like all things.
For hand pumping and professional use and want higher PSI Field King sprayers or Solo using piston-type pump action will be your best bet
Hope this has helped you out and to make sure to check out the homepage for our latest tips and reviews.