If you’re chasing after a new mower and not sure with what to go with… then this post is just for you.
Hey Callum here and I’m thrilled to be here to help you in deciding which is the best lawn mower for your 1/2 acre patch of ground… choosing the most expensive isn’t always the bests nor picking the cheapest either.
So for those who are new to caring for a lawn this size, you’ve got a few things to think about before you go dropping a dime.
Things like you want to go with a:
- Riding, tractor, tow behind or a zero-turn mower
- Gas-powered or battery-powered
- Do you want to bag, if so does it that at extra cost
Our Best Lawn Mower For 1/2 Acre Lot 2020
We will now give you a rundown of our top choices so you can decide which one to go for and also find out the differences between each one!
2 used from $229.13
Last updated on January 9, 2021 6:15 am
Best cordless push lawn mower for 1/2 acre lot
Greenworks 20-inch 40v twin force cordless lawn mower
The Greenworks 20-inch 40v twin force cordless lawn mower, 4.0 ah & 2.0 ah batteries included 25302 is a great choice in the battery-powered push lawn mower section.
Its a lightweight constructed mower that weighs just a touch over 42 pounds which is around half the weight of a gas-powered mower making it easy for you to push and maneuver around.
It runs a 20-inch cutting deck with a dual cutting blade system for a better quality cut and will give you a more superior mulching and bagging abilities.
The mower comes with two batteries a 4Ah and a 2Ah. Why 2 different sizes, who knows cost maybe is the only thing I can put it down to.
With an average run time of 40 minutes being conservative here as it does say 60 minutes in the specs, after contacting Greenworks and reading other consumers reports and reviews on average 30 to 40 minutes is the norm of optimum run time.
- No need to store gas
- Quite and economically cheaper to run than gas
- No more services, maintenance of oil, plugs, filters
- Easy to assemble
- Not suited for mulching or side discharging as the throw isn’t real strong
- The bag is small and may need emptying more often
- Bag is permeable and won’t catch dust.
- Many report that only achieve around 30-40 minutes of battery run time
- As with all battery operated tools may shut down when overheating conditions.
Snapper xd 82v max electric cordless 21 inch lawn mower
The Snapper xd 82v max electric cordless 21-inch lawn mower is powered by Briggs and Stratton who's well known in the motor/tool industy for their quality and the Snapper XD lawn mower is another perfect example.
Featuring a 21-inch steel 3 in 1 cutting deck that is built for strength, durability and can be used for bagging, side discharge or mulching
Almost twice the weight as the Greenworks mower above due to its construction and using 2 batteries.
The mower uses two Briggs & Stratton 82V MAX 2.0 Lithium-ion batteries and run time it's estimated on their website you should get around 90 minutes.
Looking at reviews from those who have purchased the reviews are very high on the life of the battery and run times.
If you've got storage issues or not a lot of floor space this mower is able to be stored hanging on the wall vertically saving you on floor space and room.
The mower comes with a 5 year warranty and you also get 2 years on batteries
- Steel cutting deck with 7 different cutting heights
- Can be hung vertically on a wall to save on floor storage space.
- Features 3-in-1, bagging, mulch and side discharge.
- Available battery size: 82V Max* 2.0, 4.0 or 5.0 Lithium-Ion
- Load Sensing Technology allows the mower to power to adjust to the conditions and torque on the blades.
- Can be used for lawn stripes
- Heavy weighing at 90 pounds can be a bugger to push around.
- This mower isn’t self propelled
- Going by reviews, there seems to be a lack of service agents so I recommend checking if one is close by as shit does happen and things do break
Best battery powered self-propelled lawn mower for 1/2 acre lot
Greenworks pro 21-inch 80v cordless lawn mower
This mower from Greenworks the pro 21-inch 80v cordless lawn mower is one of the better mowers in the cordless range.
The 21 inch steel deck will rip through any size lawn you have and with its 3-in-1 feature you can either mulch, bag the clippings or side discharge them.
Tight on space? This mower can be mounted on the wall vertically saving you around 70% floor space if you can lift it. Weighing in at around 63 pounds (28kg) dry weight
This mower uses the latest brushless motor technology giving you more economical power usage a longer run time and more grunt and torque when the time is needed.
On a single 4Ah fully charged battery the specs say you can get up to 45 minutes run time and this will vary on grass conditions and if your bagging or mulching.
Easy to adjust, the adjustment for the self-propelled is on the handle and just a simple slide hare-snail option.
- Self propelled
- 21″ steel deck
- Can be vertically stored away
- Easy to adjust cut height
- Comes as a kit and requires assembly
- Has been reports that parts are missing
Snapper XD 82V MAX Cordless Electric 21″ Self-Propelled Lawn Mower
The Snapper XD 82V MAX cordless electric 21″ self-propelled lawnmower is pretty much the same as the push model I mentioned above that this one is self-propelled.
This mower has another special feature is not only is it self-propelled but also has a step sensor. What this does is it slows down or speeds up the lawnmower to the speed of your walking pace.
Most other mowers you can adjust the drive but this one does it automatically making hill mowing easier and safer.
Another good feature is the intelligent load-sensing technology which allows for optimum power levels while you mow for maximum efficiency
- Comes with bag, mulching plug and side discharge chute.
- Steel deck 21 inch
- Single lever 7 adjustment heights
- Convient vertical storage
- Up to 60 minutes run time
- Dealers and support is hard to come by
- Some reports say batteries are faulty and won’t charge
- Is little back heavy and when bagging makes the back even heavier causing the front wheels lifting off the ground
Best gas lawn mower for 1/2 acre lot
Craftsman self propelled lawn mower M275/215
The Craftman self propelled lawn mower M275 21″ gas lawn mower runs a powerful 159CC OHV giving you plenty of horsepowers to cut through the toughest conditions like wet or tall grass and also plenty of power for mulching.
This mower features an electric start with an automatic choke system. So with just a push of the button now you’ve just eliminated those frustrating times of pulling ya guts out on a flooded mower just to get it going.
The mower has 3-in-1 capabilities whether you want to side discharge, bag or mulch.
The Craftsman m215 and m275 mowers use front-wheel drive (FWD) over the rear-wheel-drive (RWD) system.
They both have good and bad points and for flat level ground you can use either but if your ground is hilly or uneven I would more consider going with rear-drive.
Another good feature this mower has is the deck wash facility. Just attach your hose to the connection and wash the underside of the deck without the need to tip the mower on the side. No worries of gas leaking out or getting oil up top.
- Push-button start and automatic choke
- Made in the USA
- Front wheel drive mowers aren’t the best for hilly or rough grounds
Conclusion of Best Lawn Mower For 1/2 Acre Lot
With so many different brands of mowers on the market and all with different features to go along with it can feel somewhat overwhelming at the least when it comes to just trying to pick one.
Hopefully, this article has helped ease that decision a bit for you.
If you've got hilly or rough ground consider a rear-wheel drive over the front in the self-propelled mowers and you'll get straighter lines with a rear-drive, better for striping.
When going battery-powered, if you are already running cordless tools try to keep all same brand and battery.