Hey, if you’re looking for the best cordless hedge trimmer, you’ve come to the right place. Here we will layout the best products we’ve found so far and what to look for when you shop for such a product.
After all, keeping the hedges trimmed is something we all have to do regardless of whether we love it or not. So, whether you’re just doing enough to get by or your getting all arty and making animal shapes… then this post is just for you.
Comparison Table of Best Corded Hedge Trimmers 2022
Best Cordless Hedge Trimmer: Our Top Picks For 2022
This is at the top of our list for a reason- it really works and gets the job done. If you live in a place where bushes grow like crazy, check out this trimmer first before you go anywhere else! DeWalt is known for making great tools at fair prices.
You can take this right out of the box and be ready to work.
Add on a charged battery from another DeWalt tool (they are interchangeable) or charge the battery that came with it for a few minutes and then get to work.
It’s not exactly the lightest tool of them all.
But, it is still very easy to manage, and the blades are quite sharp.
You will definitely get to those hard to reach spots with ease. And the freedom of being able to carry this cordless hedge trimmer all over the property is second to none.
- Lesser maintenance needed
- No need for gas or cords
- Starts easy every time
- Becomes heavy fast if lifting the unit over your head for cutting work.
WORX WG261 20V Power Share 22-Inch Cordless Hedge Trimmer
We found this to be great when it comes to small jobs, so do keep that in mind- this is more of a residential tool than a commercial landscaping one.
That being said, this one is great for beginners or people who just want the job done right. It is lightweight, so it’s perfect for people of all ages and skill levels.
It is easy to change hands and directions when using the trimmer. You can easily cut through most small bushes and shrubs, ensuring they look neat and clean.
The battery life is good and long on this one; it appears you can get about one hour out of the tool before it’s time to charge it again.It is a Perfect cordless hedge trimmer for around the housework.
- Lightweight and easy to maneuver design
- Dual-action blade cuts and then catches the branch on the back end to be sure
- No need to tangle with an extension cord as you work
- Tends to catch on anything greater than a half-inch in diameter
BLACK+DECKER BEHT150 Hedge Trimmer
This is one of the smaller machines we’ve seen, but it is still mighty. If you have smaller bushes or shrubs, consider this model for a well priced but quality machine. You can buy it in kits that come with gloves or even a leaf blower to help scoot those trimmings out of the way.
Even if you’ve never owned a hedge trimmer before, this is a great place to start. It is a non-intimidating piece of equipment and perfect for beginners or people that aren’t sure if they’d like such a tool.
Since it is a bit of a smaller tool, you will notice it is going to have some trouble cutting thicker branches of shrubs- we’re talking about a half-inch and above. So, do keep that in mind as you shop. You won’t get the same power as, say, a 24″ blade, but it’s good for the smaller jobs out there. It will help you get your trimming done a lot faster and with less effort on your part.
- T handle offers greater control while working
- Easy to use and lightweight machine
- Hardened steel black offers you less vibration while operating
- Cutting shaft is smallest we’ve seen at 17 inches
Makita XHU02M1 18V LXT Lithium-Ion Cordless (4.0Ah) 22″ Hedge Trimmer Kit
Makita is a brand we love here because they’re always such great quality. This hedge trimmer is no different. Simply start by taking it out of the box and charge it up. Then wait for ten minutes. After that, put your protective eyewear on and get to work.
It runs pretty quietly, and while we always recommend earmuffs, you might not need them.
This is a smooth operating machine that is lightweight and perfect for smaller bushes, shrubs, and flower beds that need touching up. It’s easy to maneuver around for those of you with mobility concerns.
On that same note, the smoothness will also take away the unpleasant “vibration” you feel after putting away your tools after a day of work. Chances are you’ve felt this after finishing a day of work in the garden or yard. This takes that away when doing hedge trimming.
No question about it – the good quality of Makita plus the lack of worrying about gas or extension cords makes this one a real winner. The blades are sharp and will have your hedges looking great.
- Runs for up to 120 minutes
- 2700 SPM means work goes fast
- Battery warning system will stop motor and turn on indicator light
- Cutting shaft could stand to be a bit longer
BLACK+DECKER 40V MAX Cordless Hedge Trimmer,
This cordless hedger offers you a decent amount of power for small to medium-sized bushes and shrubs. It’s rather lightweight, which can be off-putting to shoppers looking to cut larger and more unruly bushes, so do keep that in mind.
This particular model offers you 40 volts of power and cuts comparable to corded versions, minus the need to tangle with an extension cord as you try to work. It holds a good, long charge, and you don’t need to worry about starting – it will fire up every time.
It won’t be hard for you to fill a contractor bag with yard trimmings and be tired as heck before you notice the battery is still at 75% life!
- Different kits for this product are available for purchase
- Soft grip helps you work in comfort
- Battery charge level indicated at the “state of charge” indicator
- Tool is very lightweight and may not be enough for very large bushes.
EGO Power+ HT2400 24-Inch 56-Volt Lithium-ion Cordless Hedge Trimmer
This EGO cordless trimmer makes use of the common lithium power packs you get with other Ego products, so if you are already a fan of that brand, this is a great tool because you can use those other batteries.
The batteries change out super quickly, and you will be able to use the long 24-inch blade on bushes and shrubs that are even taller than yourself.
The battery life on this tool is long and strong. You can cut your whole property with this! It offers the same performance as gas but runs longer and is better for the environment. The machine itself is lightweight, and you won’t feel super tired carrying it around all day long as you cut the bushes.
At a speed of 3000 SPMS, the work will fly by. No more dealing with 2 stroke motors and having to pre-mix up the fuel and set it in a gas can (and hope your family doesn’t accidentally add the mix to the mower or chainsaw).
- Offers dual-action reciprocating blades
- Construction is weather resistant
- E-brake stops blade action fast if needed
- Batteries will recharge faster than you will be ready to get back to work.
How to choose the best cordless hedge trimmer.
Before you buy, let’s think about a few different considerations. For example, cordless hedge trimmers are best for grasses and pruning of perennial flowers. You can also trim and shape small to medium hedges and reach difficult spots with these trimmers.
You can also cut down overgrowth and weeds when dry, but weeds on the ground are best served with a weed-eater or string trimmer. Second, how much landscaping do you have?
If you have just a few shrubs out front or a few hedges on the side of your home, an electric trimmer will be all you need to keep things neat. Depth and height of the shrubs matter, too.
Yard size matters as well. If you have a smaller yard, such as those of you that live in the city, one of these cordless models will serve you well. Meanwhile, those of you with large plots of land or large shrubs/hedges may wish to choose a gas model as you get more power.
Size of the blade matters, too.
- 20 inch blades and up are great for thick branches and large hedges.
- 18 inch blades are great for average and large hedges.
- 16 inch and under blades are great for average to small size hedges.
What are the advantages/benefits of a cordless hedge trimmer?
As you have likely discovered, the benefits are numerous. Here are a few of our favorites:
- These trimmers are lightweight and easy on arms and backs.
- They run quiet and are better for our ears
- The batteries last long when charged fully.
- No tangling with cords as you try to work
- Different lengths of cutters are available for different jobs.
- Prices on these tools are reasonable.
Things to look for/attributes that differentiate these products.
For this, I will compare gas and electric powered hedge trimmers so you can see the difference between the two.
Gas hedge trimmers:
- Heavier and more powerful than electric units
- Are portable
- Are more expensive
- Great for larger yards that have large, heavy, and dense shrubs, are used in commercial and business applications
- Require you to mix oil and gas as a means of fueling the machine
Cordless hedge trimmers:
- Great for lighter and smaller jobs/yards. Not great for larger hedges/shrubs or commercial grade work.
- Quiet and great for the health of our ears (we still advise the wearing of ear protection).
- Lightweight- even older folks can use these without fear of hurting their backs.
- Batteries of today charge pretty fast, and you don’t need to worry about fuel.
- No emission- great for our planet and your lungs/your kids’ lungs.
What’s the best way to use the cordless hedge trimmer?
Follow all manufacturer’s instructions when operating your cordless hedge trimmer. Leatherwork gloves, ear protection, and eye protection should be worn when operating this machinery.
Prerequisites/precautions for using the cordless hedge trimmer
Regardless of which model you buy, look for these safety features: Tooth extensions, front handle shields, and models that cut blade power. These are all good features that keep operators safe.
Some more great features:
- Dual switches which require two-handed operation
- Trimmers that lock-in “off” position so that kids do not activate them on accident
- Anti Vibration features which help you feel comfortable during and after work
- Extendable trimmers to help you avoid straining
- If you are left-handed, consider a double-sided blade for your comfort.
Thank you for taking the time to read our review about the best cordless hedge trimmers. These are great machines because they are nice and quiet, keep emissions out of our lungs and yards, and make the work easy and fun.
You will find it a breeze to take care of those ever-growing bushes.
For the pick, we like Dewalt for its commercial built quality and performance. They are a pricey tool and brand and won’t suit every one of our reader’s needs.
If you already run Dewalt battery tools it makes sense to spend the extra on the Dewalt hedge trimmer as they also have lawn mowers, blowers, and even chainsaws.