Table of Contents
If you are looking for the best weed killer for flower beds, then you care about your garden. You like the beautiful colors, scents, and landscapes that your flowers provide to your home.
Sadly, weeds are invasive species and have the potential to destroy all of your hard work.
That is why you need to find a weed killer that will get rid of these weeds without harming your flowers.
There are a few key points that you should keep in mind.
How To Find the Right Weed Killer
If you are looking for a weed killer, then you need to make sure that you keep a few important factors in mind so that you find the right option.
Some of the most important factors to include are:
Selective vs. Non-Selective Weed Killer
One of the most significant challenges you are going to face if you are using herbicides in your garden is that the weeds could be growing right next to your flowers.
For this reason, you need to find a weed killer that is selective.
A selective weed-killer is going to destroy weeds or grass while preventing your flowers from being harmed.
If you select a nonselective weed-killer, it is going to kill everything that touches, including your flowers.
While a non-selective herbicide will still work well on weeds, you need to use a spray nozzle that will allow you to zero in on weeds without harming your flowers.
Pre-Emergent vs. Post-Emergent Weed Killer:
Next, you need to figure out if the weed killer is designed to eliminate post-emergent weed or pre-emergent weeds.
A pre-emergent weed killer can save you a lot of trouble by killing weeds before they sprout out of the ground.
The downside is that these herbicides also need to be applied earlier.
On the other hand, the vast majority of weed killers are post-emergent and nature.
This means they are designed to kill weeds that are already at the surface.
They will still work now, but the weeds may have already done some damage to your flowers.
Safety Precautions with Weed Killers:
Finally, you also need to think about safety precautions when using a weed killer.
There are a lot of chemicals that are present in this herbicide.
If you are worried about the health impacts of weed killers, there are always organic, vinegar-based options. On the other hand, most of these organic options are not selective.
Thinking about these factors ahead of time will help you make the right choice for your flowers.
Consider all of these characteristics when you are looking for a weed killer you can use.
What Are the Advantages of a Weed Killer?
When you take the time to find the right weed killer for your flower beds, there are several benefits that you are going to enjoy. These include:
- Save Time: The right weed killer is going to help you save time. Think about the amount of time you spend every summer pulling weeds out of the ground by hand. This takes a lot of effort and could leave you feeling sore in the morning. On the other hand, a weed killer will allow you to stand back, spray the weeds, and watch them die slowly.
- Kill Quickly: When you remove weeds by hand, a lot of times, you leave the root system in the ground. As a result, the weeds always seem to come back. Maybe the killer will do the job correctly the first time. In this manner, it will work fast and kill the weeds.
- Preserve Your Flowers: Most importantly, the right weed killer is going to preserve your flowers. You have worked hard deciding which flowers to grow when. You enjoy their pleasant scents and their bright colors. A weed killer will make sure that all of your hard work is not in vain.
These are a few of the biggest advantages of using a weed killer. By employing the right herbicide, you can preserve your flower beds.
How To Use a Weed Killer
If you are using a weed killer, then you need to make sure that you employ a correctly. Some of the key points to keep in mind include:
- While some weeds may die after a single application, additional spraying might be required for mature weeds. Therefore, give the weed killer time to work before going back for a second application.
- Weed killer is not going to work better with a stronger concentration. Therefore, do not concentrate weed killer because this will only amplify side effects. This may even kill your flowers.
- Liquid weed killers usually work better than a granular, solid product. Liquid weed killers cover a larger surface area.
- Do not use the same set of equipment for fertilizers and weed killers. If you do, then you are going to fertilize your lawn with a weed killer, killing it.
- Make sure that you know if you are liquid weed killer is sold as a ready-to-use product or a concentrate. If it is a concentrate, you may need to water it down before using it.
Follow these tips to use weed killers appropriately.
The Controversy Surrounding Weed Killer
In addition to finding a weed killer that will kill weeds without harming your flowers, there are also concerns that certain weed killers could lead to harmful side effects.
Specifically, the ingredient glyphosate is the backbone of the common weed killer Roundup.
At high levels, glyphosate has the potential to cause certain types of cancer.
As a result, it is important for everyone to read the ingredient list on their weed killers carefully, research them, and make sure they are not going to lie to harmful health complications.
Find the Best Weed Killer for Flower Beds
These are a few of the most important points that you should keep in mind if you are looking for a weed killer that you can use on your flower beds.
You put a lot of time and effort into your flower beds. Do not let weeds destroy them. Make sure that you find the right weed killer for your purposes.
15 Best Weed Killer For Flower Beds 2020
Green Gobbler Vinegar Weed & Grass Killer | Natural and Organic Weed & Grass Killer |1 Gallon
- CERTIFIED FOR ORGANIC USE — Completely eliminates and desiccates weeds and grasses without using toxic chemicals. Made straight from corn grown in the USA. OMRI listed weed killer and certified for organic use.
- KILLS WEEDS FAST — Eliminate any type of weed in just a matter of hours. Expect full desiccation in less than 24 hours. Green Gobbler contains 20% acetic acid. Use on crabgrass, dandelions, clover weeds, white clover, moss, etc. Works best for weeds exposed to direct sunlight.
- POWERFUL FORMULA — NO cancer-causing chemicals. Glyphosate-free. 20% formula is four times stronger than traditional table vinegar. Made strictly from ethanol distilled from corn grain.
- SAFE TO USE ANYWHERE — Perfect for residential, commercial, industrial and agricultural use. Apply where weeds and grasses are not desired. Use on driveways, sidewalks, concrete, mulch beds, pavers, flower beds, parking lots, farmlands, barns, etc. Ready to use right out the container.
- 30-DAY MONEY BACK GUARANTEE – If you are not pleased, call or email us with your order number and we will reimburse your entire purchase. We value our customers and we stand behind all of our products. Expect a refund with no questions asked.
Roundup Ready-To-Use Weed & Grass Killer III -- with Sure Shot Wand, Use in & Around Vegetable Gardens, Tree Rings, Flower Beds, Patios & More, Kills to the Root, 1.33 gal.
- Kills existing weeds and grass to the rootguaranteed (Consumer Guarantee: If for any reason you are not satisfied after using this product, simply send us original proof of purchase and we will refund the purchase price)
- Protective Shield fits over weeds to contain spray and help protect desirable plants
- Use in and around vegetable gardens, flower beds, tree rings and mulched beds, as well as on cracks in driveways, walkways and patios
- Rainproof in 10 minutes
- Visible results in 3 hours
Natural Armor Weed and Grass Killer All-Natural Concentrated Formula. Contains No Glyphosate (128 OZ. Gallon)
- CONTAINS NO GLYPHOSATE - Natural, Concentrated Formula STOPS Weeds and Grasses Right in Their Tracks. Weeds and Grass Will Look Like You Took A Torch To Them.
- EASY TO USE - Friendly for People & Pets. Ready To Use, Just Spray and Go. No Messy Mixing or Diluting.
- PLACES TO USE - Use Anywhere You Don't Want Weeds and Grass Growing Such As, Around Flower Beds, Shrubs and Trees, Barns, Driveways, Edging, Fence Lines, Foundations, Gravel Areas, Mulch Beds, Overgrown Weed Areas, Parking Areas, Patios, Pavers, Pool Areas, Rock Walls and Pathways, Walkways, Wells & Water Systems. Any Location Where No Vegetation is Wanted
- FAST ACTING - See Results In Hours and Even Greater Results Shortly Thereafter.
Roundup Landscape Weed Preventer 5.37 LB
$20.94 in stock
- Prevents weeds and grasses for up to 6 months
- Won't harm desirable plants
- Stops weeds from growing
- Creates a weed barrier
- Built in applicator
Preen 264107 Garden Weed Preventer - 13 lb. - Covers 2,080 sq. ft.
$18.05 in stock
- Stop weeds before they start for up to 3 months guaranteed
- Safe for use around over 200 established flowers, vegetables, trees and shrubs
- Apply anytime in spring, summer or fall
- Not for use on lawns
- Weed preventer does not kill existing weeds
Spectracide Weed & Grass Killer (Ready-to-Use) (HG-96428) (32 fl oz) (Pack of 2)
- Visible results as fast as 3 hours
- Kills the root
- Rainfast in 15 minutes
- Use around trees and shrubs, in flower beds and on patios and walkways
The Andersons Easy Weeder Garden Weed Preventer (Treflan/Trifluralin), Compare to Preen - Covers 960 sq. ft.
- Prevents weeds from growing for up to 3 months, guaranteed
- Safe to use around flowers, vegetables, shrubs, and trees
- Resealable shaker bag and brightly-colored particles make application easy
- Apply every three months for season-long weed suppression (spring, summer, fall)
- Covers 960 sq. ft. -- Does not kill existing weeds
Preen 2464189 Weed Preventer Plus Ant, Flea, & Tick Control - 4.25 lb. - Covers 1,000 sq. ft.
$35.99 in stock
- Apply any time during the growing season around established plants and transplants in foundation, flower and landscape beds
- Preen forms a protective weed barrier that stops weed seeds from rooting for up to 4 months
- With one easy application, this Preen also kills foraging ants before they can invade your home and kills biting fleas before they latch onto your pets
- It kills the ticks that may carry Rocky Mountain spotted fever and Lyme disease
- Flip- top applicator cap makes it easy to apply
ECO Garden PRO - Organic Vinegar Weed Killer | Kid Safe Pet Safe | Clover Killer for Lawns | Moss Killer | Green Grass & Poison Ivy Killer | Spray Ready Glyphosate Free Herbicide (1 Gallon)
$26.95 in stock
- ✔️ PET & KID SAFE HERBICIDE - Eco Garden Pro Weed Killer is designed with you and your family in mind! All of our ingredients are carefully selected to be SAFE FOR: PETS, CHILDREN, BEES, FISH, AND ANY LIVESTOCK!
- ✔️ ORGANIC WEED KILLER - Formulated to KILL WEEDS AND GRASS FAST. Our proprietary formula will deliver IMMEDIATE RESULTS WITHIN 24 HOURS! Perfect for all residential, commercial, industrial, and agricultural use - including: driveways, sidewalks, concrete, mulch beds, pavement, flowers beds, parking lots, and farm lands.
- ✔️ WORKS within 24 HOURS POWERFUL PROPRIETARY FORMULATION - Our READY TO USE (RTU) formula contains natural white vinegar, organic rock salt, biodegradable plant activators, and fermentation derived co-factors, all designed to eliminate weeds and grass effectively and quickly.
- ✔️ WORKS FOR CLOVER, MOSS, & POISON IVY - Eco Garden Pro Weed Killer will work to eliminate all conventional weeds and grasses, including: DANDELIONS, CLOVER, CHICKWEED, DOLLAR WEED, THISTLE, CRABGRASS, MOSS, WHITE COVER, AND GENERAL WEEDS AND GRASSES.
- ✔️ GREEN LAWN FOR A GREEN ENVIRONMENT - Eco Garden Pro Weed Killer is designed to work effectively without any toxic chemicals. The product is ECO FRIENDLY, PHOSPHATE FREE, 100% BIODEGRADABLE, AND SAFE FOR GROUND WATER.
Natria 706510A Grass & Weed Control with Root Kill Herbicide Weed Killer, Ready-to-Use, 1.3 Gallon, Concentrate
$25.19 in stock
- WEED KILLER: Non-selective herbicide kills listed weeds and grasses including crabgrass, posion ivy, clover, and more
- ROOT KILLER: Exclusive formula kills to the root within minutes
- RESULTS: Start seeing visual results in as little as 24 hours
- USE ON: Flower beds, driveways, sidewalks, stepping stones, patios and more. Does not stain bricks, concrete, or asphalt.
- EASY APPLICATION: Spray weeds until foliage is wet
Snapshot - 50 Pound bag - Mulch Bed Weed Inhibitor
- Protect gardens, lawns and landscaping with quality herbicides
- Use to control weeds both before they emerge and after
- Broadleaf herbicide to be used with care not to kill desired grasses
- Refer to product label for any local use restrictions
Bonide (BND7458) - Grass Beater Concentrate, Over-the-Top Grass and Weed Killer (8 oz.)
$24.99 in stock
- SELECTIVE SYSTEMIC KILLER - Without harming desirable plants, Grass Beater takes out grassy weeds that have overtaken your lawn or garden.
- EASY TO APPLY – Product should be applied using a trigger spray bottle or pressure tank sprayer. Carefully read and use according to label directions.
- VEGETABLE GARDENS AND FLOWER BEDS - This selective weed eliminator is great for use on vegetable gardens, ground covers, flower beds, shrubs, and trees. Be sure to use this product at least 30 days from harvest and follow the directions on the label.
- EFFECTIVE RESULTS - Once it has been properly applied, Bonide Grass Beater will control unwanted weeds throughout your garden. This is a great product that will provide effective and lasting results.
- POST-EMERGENCE HERBICIDE - This is a selective, broad-spectrum product for control of annual and perennial grass weeds in turf, ornamentals, lawns, and non-crop sites listed in the label.
Roundup Landscape Weed Preventer: Creates a Barrier, Easy to Apply, Just Shake on Perennial & Annual Flower Beds, Around Shrubs & Trees, and in Flowering Bulb Gardens, 13 lb.
- Prevents weeds and grasses for up to 6 months
- Won't harm desirable plants
- Stops weeds from growing
- Creates a weed barrier
- Built-in applicator
Green Light Amaze Grass and Weed Preventer, 10 Pound
- Don't pull weeds - prevent them
- One application prevents weeds up to 4 months
- Forms a protective barrier in the soil surface, which prevents weeds from emerging
- Controls weeds, including Henbit, Prostate Knotweed, Shepherdpurse, Yellow Woodsorrel, Crabgrass, Foxtail, Common Chickweed and Common Purslane
- Use on listed established flowers, roses, trees and shrubs
Tenacity Turf Herbicide - 8 ounces
- Tenacity is a systemic pre-emergence and post-emergence herbicide for the selective contact and residual control of weeds in turfgrasses.
- When applied as a pre-emergent, weeds absorb Tenacity during emergence from the soil.
- Target pests: Barnyardgrass, Carpetweed, Chickweed, Clover, Crabgrass (large & smooth), Dandelion, Foxtail, Goosegrass, Henbit, Yellow Nutsedge, Purslane, Thistle, Wild Carrot and others
- Active Ingredient: Mesotrione 40%
- Date printed on bottle is Manufacture Date, not expiration. Shelf Life: 5-8 years from date of manufacture when properly stored. Keep out of direct sunlight and extreme temperatures
Quali-Pro Prodiamine 65 WDG (Generic Barricade 65 WDG) (5 lbs) - Pre-Emergent Herbicide
- PRE-EMERGENT HERBICIDE: Quali-Pro's Prodiamine 65 WDG provides pre-emergent grass and broadleaf weed control. Flexible application allows for both spring and fall use providing season long crabgrass control. Available in a 5 pound bottle.
- FEATURES & BENEFITS: Excellent tank mix partner with fertilizers and iron solutions
- USE SITES: Nurse, Landscape, Turf, Trees, Golf Courses
- EFFECTIVE AGAINST: Annual bluegrass (Poa annua), Henbit, Knotweed, Chickweed, Spurge, Foxtail, Goosegrass
- ACTIVE INGREDIENT: Prodiamine 65%