Self-propelled lawn mowers take the hard work out of any lawn mowing routine regardless if its a chore, your work, or lawn care is your holy grail of passion.
But now all self propelled lawn mowers are the same, so I put together this article to help you out with deciding on which is the best electric start self propelled lawn mower for you.
Overview Of 9 Self-propelled Electric Start Lawn Mowers for 2020
Craftsman M275 159cc 21-Inch 3-in-1 High-Wheeled Self-Propelled FWD Gas Powered Lawn Mower, with Bagger, Red
- Save time when cleaning your deck’s underside to prevent rust or waste build up | Includes Self propelled mower, One bagger, One V20* Lithium Ion Battery, One Charger & One Engine Oil
- Product dimensions – 36.56" L x 17.75" W x 17.75" H | Product weight – 86.8 lbs. | Start type – Electric Start | Cut height – 1.25” to 3.75” | Cut width – 21” | Motor brand – MTD Products | Horse Power – 159 CC
- Choose from 6 different height settings to suit user’s needs. Whether your lawn needs a light trim or a full cut, there is a right setting for you
- Move around your yard with less effort at the propulsion speed of your choice allowing you to have optimal command and control of the mower
- Easy assembly required | Unit has side discharge, rear discharge, and mulching capabilities. This gas mower is versatile and works with you to get the job done
Greenworks 21-Inch 40V Self-Propelled Cordless Lawn Mower, Battery Not Included MO40L02
- Self- Propelled Drive System
- Product dimensions – 65.35” L x 21.65” W x 33.07” H | Product weight – 21.65 lbs. | Height adjustments – 1 3/8” - 3 ¾”
- Durable 21" steel deck allows you to handle large areas of grass quickly and easily. Brushless motor provides more torque, quiet operation, and longer life
- Self-propelled drive system with variable speed rear wheel drive lets you easily maneuver and tackle any terrain | 3-In-1 design allows you to mulch, rear bag, or side discharge your grass clippings
- Dual battery port design enables one battery to be stored while the other fuels the mower, saving you a trip to the garage | 7 position single lever height adjustment for quick and easy adjustments
Kobalts 80-Volt Max Brushless Lithium Ion Self-propelled 21-in Cordless Electric Lawn Mower (6.0ah Battery and Charger Included)
- Up to 80 minutes runtime on a fully charged 6.0 Ah battery (battery and charger included)
- Self-propelled via rear-wheel drive, with variable speed control to help set the perfect pace
- Collapsible handle allows for convenient vertical storage just about anywhere
- Single-lever height adjustment lets you choose from 7 separate height adjustments; Brushless motor provides more power and torque
- 3 cutting options 1 design – rear bag, mulch, or side discharge
Husqvarna 967820502 LE221R Self-Propelled Battery Lawn Mower, Orange
- 40V battery mower offers cordless push-button startups with plenty of power and no engine maintenance
- Self-propelled mower makes it easy to tackle lawn work with power and maneuverability
- 3-in-1 cutting system allows you to choose between bagging, side discharge and BioClip mulching
- Husqvarna 21 in. battery self-propelled lawn mower is ideal for small to medium yards with obstacles and tight spaces
- Power source type: Battery Powered
Scotts Outdoor Power Tools 60362S 21-Inch 62-Volt Cordless Self-Propelled Lawn Mower, LED Lights, Batteries, (1) 4Ah, (1) 2.5Ah Batteries & Charger Included
- Powerful battery-operated 62-volt brushless motor with the power of a gas mower; Package includes (1) 62-Volt 4.0 Ah and (1) 62-Volt 2.5 Ah batteries and fast charger
- Lawnmower with variable speed control, 21" cutting width with durable steel deck, dual LED headlights, and adjustable cutting height of 1.5"-3.75"; Grass catcher with plastic top, handle and 16 Gal bag capacity
- 3-in-1 functionality gives you a mulching lawnmower, easy bagger, and grass mover in one useful tool
- Maneuverable lawnmower with easy to use easy-to-use steel telescoping handle with quick-fold capabilities for vertical storage
- Planet-friendly design with universal Scotts battery that works with all Scotts 62-Volt Lithium-Ion products
Snapper XD 82V MAX Cordless Electric 21" Self-Propelled Lawn Mower, includes Kit of (2) 2.0 Batteries & Rapid Charger
- Self propelled transmission with variable speed
- Up to 45 minutes run time with the Briggs & Stratton 82V Lithium ion 2.0Ah battery kit comes with (2) 2Ah Lithium ion batteries and rapid charger
- 21 inches steel mowing deck with 3 in 1 design mulch, bag or side discharge grass clippings easily
- Smart, efficient load sensing technology power adjusts to meet the demands of the cutting blades
- Push button start and a single lever, 7 position height of cut adjustment; Rear wheel size: 10 inch
Lawn-Boy 17734 21-Inch 6.5 Gross Torque Kohler Electric Start XTX OHV, 3-in-1 Discharge Self Propelled Lawn Mower
- Electric start is the easiest way to start your mower; just turn the key and mow
- 2-Point Height-of-Cut System allows you to quickly adjust cutting heights from one side of the mower
- 3 year Tru-Start Commitment - starts with 1 or 2 pulls or Lawn-Boy will fix it for free
- Kohler 149cc/ 6.5 ft.-lbs. Gross Torque/ OHV Engine
- CARB Compliant for the state of California ; Wheel Height : 7" (17.75 cm) Front / 8" (20.3 cm) Rear
Greenworks MO80L410 Pro 80V 21-Inch Brushless Self-Propelled Lawn Mower 4.0Ah Battery and Charger Included, 4Ah
1 used from $412.49
- CORDLESS LAWN MOWER – Get more done, faster, with Greenworks electric lawn mowers. This 80V self-propelled mower provides the power you need with up to 45 minutes of run-time on a fully charged 4.0Ah battery (varies based on grass condition and operator technique)
- DURABLE 21” STEEL DECK – The 21” steel deck allows you to handle large areas of grass quickly and easily. Brushless motor provides more torque, quiet operation, and a longer life.
- SELF-PROPELLED – Rear wheel drive and variable speed control for maximum traction, maneuverability, and control
- INNOVATIVE SMARTCUT TECHNOLOGY – Senses grass and auto-adapts power for the perfect cut.
- VERSATILE – Single lever, 7-position height adjustment for the best cut in all environments. The 3-in-1 design allows you to mulch, rear bag, or side discharge your grass clippings
Greenworks PRO 21-Inch 80V Self-Propelled Cordless Lawn Mower, 5.0 AH Battery Included MO80L510
- Up to 70 minutes of run time with fully charged 5.0AH Battery, battery and charger included
- Brushless motors are more reliable and delivers gas equivalent performance to a 160cc gas engine
- Smart Cut Load sensing technology
- 3-in-1 Mulch, rear bag, and side discharge
- 80V 5AH li-ion battery and rapid charger included, compatible battery and charger models GBA80200, GBA80400 and GCH8040
Best Electric Start Self Propelled Lawn Mower Reviews 2020
Our Top Choices:
We will now give you a rundown of our top choices so you can decide which one to go for and also find out the differences between each one!
The Craftsman M275 gas-powered lawn mower is perfect if you want a mower that’s electric start, self propelled and your lawn is fairly flat and not real hilly.
You see, this mower is front wheel drive and more ideally suited for lawns that are pretty level. If your lawn is that then this machine is ideal for you, that is if your looking for gas power.
Deck & Motor
The cutting deck is 21 inches give you more ground cover with each pass, giving you fewer passes and saving more time over the distance.
Driving the mower is a 159cc MTD engine, same who have Cub Cadet, Troy-bilt and many more so you can rest assured you’re getting the highest quality and all manufactured right here in the US in Tupelo, MS.
The 159 cc engine will power through just about anything that you need to mow down.
3-in-1, Discharge, Mulch, Bag
We all have our thing, whether your bagging, side discharging or mulch it don’t matter with this mower as it does all 3.
With the 159cc gas engine, you won’t have any issues when mulching as it cuts and mulches together without any hiccups or worries.
What I like is you have the option to adjust the front and rear heights individually getting the perfect cut, height and less effort on the mower every time.
You see, the deck should be lower at the front than the back. If it’s the same height or lower at the back you run the risk of cutting your lawn twice. Also it creates more drag causing the mower to bog down more. You’ll really notice it more in thick areas or if your lawn is damp or wet.
Front Wheel Drive
This mower is front-wheel driven and is perfect for lawns on the flat and not highly recommended for hill or rough sloped lawns.
You will be just finding that you’ll need to be doing bit more pushing on the hills is all when going up as gravity can take over transferring the weight to the rear causing the front to lift up. If your bagging this can be worse with more clippings collected as you go along.
- Powerful engine with good size deck
- Six height adjustments for the perfect cut
- 3-in-1 clipping management system
- Heavy and can be hard to maneuver around
- Requires minor assembly
Greenworks 21-Inch 40V Self-Propelled Cordless Lawn Mower
Greenworks 21-inch MO40L02 lawn mower is the best in our roundup reviews in the battery-operated self propelled lawnmower.
This mower runs with a 21-inch steel deck so adds a bit of weight to it, reducing any unintentional bouncing and to help keep the center of balance when bagging.
If you have a large lawn or don’t want to use to much of your weekend time up mowing the 21″ deck gives you good coverage with each pass helping you to finish quicker saving time for more important things.
The motor runs on one 40v battery that should get your around 40 minutes of run time, give or take depending on if your bagging or mulching.
Mulching uses more power regardless of how its powered.
Greenworks uses the latest brushless motor technology that gives you more torque with less energy helping to increase the run time on a single battery charge.
Another thing this product has is the ability to carry 2 batteries, so you will never get stuck halfway round.
7-position height adjustment
Height ranges from 1-3/8 to 3-3/4 inches giving you a full range of cut heights to best suit your lawn. Adjusting the height is done with a single lever that’s located on the back right rear wheel.
Discharge, Mulch or Bag
This mower has the 3-in-1 feature so regardless if you want to bag the clippings this week, mulch next and discharge the week after, you have those choices with this one.
Even tho this mower runs on one 40v battery it’s still got plenty of grunt. It states that battery lawnmowers are around 40% lighter than gas-powered making them perfect for if you just want to mow the long and not get a workout at the same time.
What I like is the fact that you can deck out your whole cordless toolbox using the same battery on each tool. Leaf blowers, hedge trimmers, line trimmers the lot.
The most common battery that comes with this mower is the 4 Ah and the 5 Ah battery. The bigger the battery the longer run time you’ll get but dearer as well.
If you’ve got limited space or storage is tight, you can hang these mowers on the wall vertically on from a rafter, up to you. This is a great space saving idea.
- Well build with metal deck
- 3-in-1 features
- 7 height adjustments
- Well constructed
- Rear-wheel driven
- Not as good as gas when mulching, no battery mower is at this stage but still is good.
Kobalts 80-Volt Lawn Mower
The Kobalt 80v battery powered lawnmower has it all, self propelled, push-button start and with its 80v 6 Ah battery, it’s estimated that you’ll get around 80 minutes of run time.
Deck & Motor
This self propelled mower requires just the one battery
has a deck width of 21 inches